Monday 12 May 2008

Can you tell what it is yet?


I just received a wonderful grace! Hares! And it’s partly thanks to a caterpillar.

I’d just put the washing out and was standing very still watching a pied wagtail tottering along the new kerb. I was hoping he’d fly up to where I’d left a hairy molly caterpillar on the oil tank, when out of the corner of my eye I spotted something skirting along the edge of the field. I thought it would be one of the neighbourhood cats, but it was actually a hare! She disappeared into the next field and I felt privileged to have seen her. A few minutes later though, I noticed something brown in the corner of the field, so I got the binoculars and was thrilled to see TWO hares emerge!

I hadn’t seen any for weeks until this morning. The field behind our house has been open, up to a few days ago, to about 6 horses (or hissies as Wee calls them) so there was probably no extra food there for the hares but with the rain and warmth of the last few days, it’s probably worth their while having a nibble there again. They stayed there for quite a while, exploring the whole field. One of them has a lop-sided ear, so he’s easily recognisable.

No comments: